Practical Stats Courses
Online courses in environmental statistics, at your desk.
NEW LIVE COURSE: Use Of Practical Statistics in Site Investigations and Risk Assessments
May 16 and 18, 2017. Registration and more information through GeoEnviroPro
Approx $105 US Dollars (138 CAD)
• Goal for statistical methods
• The mean and UCL95
• The geometric mean and the median
• The 90th and other percentiles
• One population or two?
• Weighting observations unequally
• Comparison of existing data to background concentrations
• Dealing with outliers
Webinars — Free Webinars
See our Webinars page, or go to our online training center
Online and in-person classes:
▪ Online courses on demand, on your schedule, for scientists in any time zone. Each course below will be offered through our Online Training Center.
▪ Within the last year we have provided in-person, direct training to Federal, State, and River Basin agencies. Email us to find out what in-house, no-travel training would cost your company or agency. Any of the list of courses below can be taught at your location. These courses will be available online soon on our online training center
1. Applied Environmental Statistics
Statistics, down to Earth.A 1-week survey of environmental statistics, from confidence, prediction and tolerance intervals to regression models and trend tests in many varieties. Parametric, nonparametric and permutation tests.
2. Permutation Tests and Bootstrapping
Never worry about a normal distribution again! Learn how to compute bootstrap confidence intervals and regression. Perform the permutation equivalent of t-tests and ANOVA, without assuming and testing for normality. More power at no additional cost for testing the skewed data common to environmental studies.
3. Untangling Multivariate Relationships
Discern and describe patterns and trends in multiple chemical and biological measures. Does the pattern of 35 chemicals jointly change over time? Which chemicals are most correlated with the shift in species composition? Which sites cluster together due to similarity in their patterns of species occurrence? How can I plot data in 35 dimensions? How can I perform a trend analysis over time or location in the pattern of 100+ organisms?
4. Nondetects And Data Analysis
Statistical methods for data with nondetects.
How to compute means, UCL95s, hypothesis tests and regression and trend equations, all without substituting one-half the DL for nondetects.
5. Time Series Methods for Frequently-Collected Data
Methods for frequently collected ("real-time") data, such as data collected at 1, 5, 15 minute intervals. These data often violate the independence assumption of standard statistical procedures -- without these methods, p-values for regression, and hypothesis tests will be incorrect.
6. Statistical Methods for Contaminated Sites
Statistics for soils and groundwater. Meeting standards? Improving after remediation?
EPCs, UCLs, comparing to standards, and trend tests.
For more information incl. printable course brochures, see our Online Classes page.
Comment from a student (State agency staff) at our 2013 Applied Environmental Statistics course:
“Thank you again for the incredible course: easily the best and most useful stats class I have taken.”
Our Credentials include Ph.Ds in Environmental Science and Engineering or Mathematical Statistics, and authorship of textbooks and numerous journal articles applying statistics to practical environmental issues. See our Credentials page for more information. We've been teaching courses on practical statistics to scientists since 1990.